OUR SNX
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

High Contrast Bleached Photo Effect

2 posters

Go down

High Contrast Bleached Photo Effect Empty High Contrast Bleached Photo Effect

Post by Fulcon Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:06 pm

In video, this effect is referred to as a bleach bypass or a skip bleach effect. It's a neat effect that can really make a photo pop, and we'll use channels to make it all happen.

Why use channels?

All images are comprised of three colors; red, green, and blue. Of these three "channels", if you will, one of them will undoubtedly be the lightest, one will be the darkest, and one will be in between. Channels are extremely useful creatures, as you will soon see. You can produce all manner of el coolio photo effects just by tweaking the information contained in each one. Read on!

Finding the lightest channel

I want to make Miss Bootsie (my girlfriend Kathryn's cat) stand out of this photo.
I'll begin by finding the channel where she appears to really pop. Once I find it, I'll copy that channel's information and paste it into my Layers palette where I can start manipulating it.

Step 1:
Cycle through the various channels of any image by pressing Command + 1, 2, or 3. This will cycle through the red, green, and blue channels as long as you keep pushing the buttons. Once you land on the one where the subject matter (the focus of your image, not the background) really stands out, stop.
[TIP: You an also click the Channels tab at the top of the Layers palette to see the channels as you go through them.]

High Contrast Bleached Photo Effect 4q3aizc

In this example, the background in the green channel is slightly lighter than the rest, highlighting Bootsie.

High Contrast Bleached Photo Effect 4343jgh

Step 2:

Once you've landed on the perfect channel, press Command + A (PC: Ctrl + A) to select all and Command + C (PC: Ctrl + C) to copy it to the clipboard.

High Contrast Bleached Photo Effect 6bojol5

Go ahead and click the RGB channel at the very top of the channels palette so you have the color image back.

High Contrast Bleached Photo Effect 4m9enmt

Step 3:

Click the Layers tab and immediately create a new layer by pressing the New Layer icon at the bottom right of the Layers palette

High Contrast Bleached Photo Effect 4t9cimg

Step 4:

Paste the green channel information onto the new layer by pressing Command + V (PC: Ctrl + V).

High Contrast Bleached Photo Effect 6g4i9oy

Sharpen her up

Step 5:

Hop up to the Filter menu and choose Sharpen > Unsharp Mask. Enter 125% into the Amount field, 1 for Radius, and 1 for Threshold (these are good numbers for fur).

High Contrast Bleached Photo Effect 62sfvb8

Step 6:

Change the blend mode of the layer to Overlay, and reduce the Opacity to 80%, as shown below. Changing the blend mode will allow the color data of the original image to show back through.

High Contrast Bleached Photo Effect 53er1b9

Adding a color cast

Step 7:
Create another new layer at the top of the Layers palette.

High Contrast Bleached Photo Effect 4lymzk2

Step 8:
Grab the eyedropper tool and sample an area of green from the photo (or if you know what color green you want, just click the foreground color chip and choose it from the color picker).

High Contrast Bleached Photo Effect 4ku6d88

Step 9:
Fill the new layer with color by pressing Option + Delete (PC: Alt + Delete). Change the blend mode to Color and lower the Opacity to about 50%. Changing the blend mode once again allows us to see the color from the original image below.

Here's an extreme close-up of the after image so you can see the enhanced contrast and sharpness.

High Contrast Bleached Photo Effect 6gmfle9

And here's a before and after:
High Contrast Bleached Photo Effect 6cn26pk
Fulcon
Fulcon
Administrator
Administrator

Male Number of posts : 121
Job/hobbies : Working on wesites,Reading books,playing Football
Humor : Ahhhhh Shut up
Registration date : 2008-11-20

https://simnxt.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

High Contrast Bleached Photo Effect Empty Re: High Contrast Bleached Photo Effect

Post by radeeyjd Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:08 pm

gud info da Cool Cool Cool
radeeyjd
radeeyjd
Co-admin
Co-admin

Male Number of posts : 122
Job/hobbies : student
Humor : tat isnt nice
Registration date : 2008-11-30

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: